Canada Self-Employed Program
Being self-employed or freelancer and having a flexible work schedule is very popular for many individuals in these days. Some may select this route to avoid working for corporate companies just as an employee and managing their own salary. One of the most popular programs for immigration to Canada is the Self-Employed Program.
What is Canada Self-Employed Program?
Although there is not a specific visa for self-employed individuals who wish to immigrate to Canada, there are programs available. Foreign nationals looking to immigrate to Canada as a business owner or freelancer can apply to the Self-Employed Persons Program or the Quebec Self-Employed Program for those interested in moving to Quebec. The self-employed person program is one of the most interesting pathways that result in Canada Permanent Residency (PR) for those applicants who:
What Can cansulthub do for you?
If you think, about how to be eligible for a business immigration visa under this program, we are ready to do A to Z for you to meet all essential criteria for the Federal self-employed person program.
CansultHub experts will make it easy for you, just book a free Consultation session to tell you all you need.
Self-employed program requirement
1. Have relevant experience:
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience. It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day we decide on your application. You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience. At a minimum, your experience must be:
- for cultural activities:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of one year described in (a), and one year described in (b)
- for athletics:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in athletics, or
- a combination of one year described in (a) above, and one year described in (b) above
We assess you on selection criteria that include your:
- language abilities
Medical, security checks, and other requirements
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.
To check your eligibility, let’s fill out the assessment form & book a consultation session now!
2. Be able to stay in Canada as a self-employed (from financial aspects)
3. Meet the selected program essentials
Your maximum possible score is 100. The pass mark is currently 35 points and you will assess based on the following factors
4. You should pass the medical exam, police certificate, and all other conditions successfully
How do I prove self-employed work experience for immigration to Canada?
Self-employed occupation list
If you are willing to apply under the self-employed program, you must show your relevant experience in one of the following occupations:
Professional Occupations in Art and Culture
Conservators and Curators
Authors and Writers
Professional Occupations in Public Relations and Communications
Translators, Terminologists, and Interpreters
Producers, Directors, Choreographers and Related Occupations
Conductors, Composers and Arrangers
Musicians and Singers
Actors and Comedians
Painters, Sculptors and Other Visual Artists
Technical and Skilled Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport
Library and Public Archive Technicians
Technical Occupations Related to Museums and Art Galleries
Film and Video Camera Operators
Graphic Arts Technicians
Audio and Video Recording Technicians
Other Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting, and the Performing Arts
Support Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting, and the Performing Arts
Announcers and Other Broadcasters
Graphic Designers and Illustrators
Interior Designers and Interior Decorators
Theatre, Fashion, Exhibit and Other Creative Designers
Artisans and Crafts persons
Patternmakers – Textile, Leather, and Fur Products
Sports Officials and Referees
Program Leaders and Instructors in Recreation, Sport, and Fitness
How can I calculate my points for the self-employed program?
Your maximum possible score is 100. The pass mark is currently 35 points and you will assess based on the following factors:
Also you can calculate your score in Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool
Maximum 35 points
Maximum 10 points
Maximum 25 points
Ability in English or French
Maximum 24 points
Maximum 6 points
Maximum 100 points
Ask CansultHub expert calculate your accurate point here
How CansultHub help you to apply for the Self-employed program?
CansultHub helps you in all steps to apply and get approval for this stream by:
- Holding a free consultation session (Calculate your point and recommend the best pathway based on your experiences)
- Collecting, sorting, and preparing all required documents
- Applying to self-employed program by top-ranked lawyers
- Coordinating your application process regularly
- Following up on your work permit & Permanent Residency status afterwards.